This course addresses the most important aspects of converting electronic assemblies to Pb-free (for RoHS compliance).
The emphasis is on how to ensure reliability for the components, the printed circuit board, and the completed assembly when transitioning to SAC Pb-free solder assembly. It answers questions such as:
- What tin whisker mitigation strategies should be followed?
- What board strain limits are acceptable and what should be done if solder fracture occurs due to high strain?
- What PCB laminates are appropriate for Pb-free assembly and what parameters are important?
- How do the surface finishes compare and in what applications do each fit best?
- What are typical root causes of head-on-pillow defects and how are these defects eliminated?
- Which capacitor types are most susceptible to Pb-free process damage?