Join us at The Battery Show -- North America 2019, occurring September 10-12, 2019 in Novi, Michigan. Vidyu Challa, Ph.D., Consulting Manager at Ansys-DfR Solutions will conduct a workshop titled How to Qualify Your Lithium Ion Cell Supplier to Prevent Failures and Thermal Events.
How to Qualify Your Lithium Ion Cell Supplier to Prevent Failures and Thermal Events
Reports about lithium ion batteries exploding and catching fire continue to draw the public's attention. How do you balance the need for power, size, cost, and time-to-market, while still avoiding being the lead story on the evening news?
Is it enough to qualify a cell manufacturer according to industry standards? The answer is that the majority of compliance based testing is related to abuse tolerance. However, the vast majority of field failures do not occur under abuse scenarios, but happen under normal operating conditions due to manufacturing flaws or design and system tolerance issues that cause internal shorts. Internal shorts are unfortunately not mitigated by safety electronics.
In this battery tutorial, you will:
- Gain an understanding of lithium ion battery failure mechanisms and the pathway to thermal runaway events
- Learn about the top causes of battery field failures, and the major areas where you need to have mitigation strategies
- Learn how cell design plays a critical role in battery safety and reliability, and what you can do from a design perspective to prevent these
- Learn the basic steps in a lithium ion cell manufacturing process, and the process controls required to ensure cell safety and reliability
- Learn about the battery management system and its role in system safety
- Come away with a checklist of things you should do to qualify your cell manufacturer: pass down requirements, trust but verify (design, manufacturing, compliance based testing, system level tolerances, application specific battery testing, battery management system, cell CT scans and teardowns and lastly user education)
You can register for The Battery Show here.